Table of Contents
The Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe sounds intimidating, but it should not be. Made with tea biscuits or digestives, butter, milk, sugar and chocolate, it is an easy cake to make and requires no baking as it is refrigerated. The no bake cake that is a British tradition is said to be a favorite of the royal family.
So let’s go ahead and make it!Jump to Recipe
Why we love 💕this Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe
- It is an easy, no bake cake
- It is delicious
- It is made with tea biscuits or digestive biscuits and reminds us of our hidden “british-ness”
- It is the Queen Elizabeth’s favorite cake! It is also Prince William’s favorite. He reportedly asked for this cake for his wedding. Of course the recipe is way more posh than this one!
- It can be decorated with everything you can think of like whoppers.
🕐How to make the Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- Break the tea biscuits into small pieces and add the chopped chocolates in a microwave safe bowl
- Melt the butter. Stir the melted chocolate and butter together; add the sugar and mix well
- Add the vanilla extract and milk. Mix and add into a pot
- Heat over medium low heat for 5 minutes, then simmer and take off heat
- Pour into the crushed biscuits. Even out the top using a spatula
- Let it set in the refrigerator for 3 hours or longer
- When ready, decorate with whoppers, fruit, nuts or anything you like
What is a Biscuit Cake?
The Biscuit Cake is a type of a no bake cake made with tea biscuits (cookies) or digestive biscuits. It is optionally prepared with chocolate glaze and is a British invention.
What type of biscuits do I need for this Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe?
There is no strict ruling on the types of biscuits or cookies that you can use to make this delicious cake. You can use any type of cookies or graham crackers. It depends on your taste buds and on your favorite cookies.
If you use extra sweet cookies, you need to decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe. On the other hand, if you are using graham crackers or digestive biscuits, you need to balance out the sugar.
What type of dark chocolate do I need to use?
You can use unsweetened dark chocolate in the recipe. You can also use cocoa powder if you wish. Use milk chocolate for a creamier texture.
What type of butter do I need to use?
You can use any type of butter. If you are a vegan, you can also use coconut butter, or any type of plant-based butter instead of dairy. However, you need to know the exact substitution ratios for each one. Often non-dairy butter is lighter so you may need to use larger portions. In addition, this substitution may alter the flavor and/or texture.
What is the texture of the Chocolate Biscuit Cake?
The texture of the cake is not like other traditional cakes. It is slightly gooey. You will surely taste the crumbliness of the biscuits in the recipe.
Can I make the Biscuit Cake in advance?
You can make this cake ahead of time and store it in the fridge for 5 days without compromising on the taste.
Can I store the cake in the fridge?
Of course you need to store it in the refrigerator until served.
How do I serve this cake?
Cut it into slices and add your favorite chocolates on top. I have used whoppers that make the cake look pretty. You can add chopped nuts or cherries too.
What are the best beverages/drinks to serve it with?
The cake is a winner by itself but if you serve with a fine cup of milk tea, the combination is a killer!
More recipes? Try the Classic White Cake here
Did you make this? Capture a snapshot of your dessert and share it with us on Instagram by tagging @theistravels or using the hashtag #wedesserts. We can’t wait to admire your creation!
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links from Amazon Associates. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission
Chocolate Biscuit Cake recipe
- 24 oz tea biscuits
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolates to garnish
- Break the tea biscuits into small pieces. Keep aside for now. In a microwave safe bowl, add the chopped chocolates.
- Add the butter. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir the melted chocolate and butter together. Add the sugar and mix well.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk. Mix again and add to a pot.
- Heat over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Simmer for 2 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Pour into the crushed biscuits. Even out the top using a spatula.
- Let it set in the refrigerator for 3 hours or longer. Un-mould the cake on a serving plate.
- Decorateas you please. Cut into slices and serve.