Can you make Creamy Vegan Chocolate Mousse with seven ingredients? A friend told me that everything vegan is just a copy and paste from the “real” version of desserts or any dish. Vegan dessert, she said, are copycats, are much fatter and taste horrible. Just after this statement, the idea of the creamy vegan chocolate mousse with seven ingredients crossed my mind.
We at wedesserts.com are not vegan. However, to honor the Veganuary and also to follow religiously the trends, we decided to make the Vegan Chocolate Mousse. With only seven ingredients.
With coconut milk. Cocoa powder. Maple syrup. Dates. Salt. Vanilla. And mint leaves for garnish if you wish. It’s simple. Easy.
And it tastes good.
But we are not going to lie. It is heavy in calories as both the coconut milk and the cocoa powder add up. So, this is a treat and just a treat. Avoid over-indulgence. Enjoy in moderation for a dairy-free, pick-me-up afternoon snack or just to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings.
Let’s do the Creamy Vegan Chocolate Mousse with seven ingredients
Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- 6 whole Medjool dates pitted and soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2-3 mint leaves for garnish
- Refrigerate the coconut milk overnight
- Next morning, open the can and try not to shake it
- Once you open the can, you will see the liquid on top
- Pour the liquid into a bowl and disregard
- Transfer the thick creamy milk into a blender
- Add cocoa powder, dates, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt
- Blend on high-speed for 2-3 minutes until mixture is creamy
- Pour the mousse into serving glasses and refrigerate until cold and thickened, for at least 3 hours
- Garnish with mint leaves
- Serve and enjoy!
- Instead of maple syrup, you can use 1 tablespoon powdered sugar or 3/4 teaspoon powdered stevia
- You can also avoid sweeteners completely – the mousse is sweet enough from the dates
- By pouring the liquid from the chilled coconut milk can, you will get a thicker mousse
- You can save the poured liquid from the coconut milk and use it for another recipe – maybe in smoothies?
- If you don’t remove the liquid, you will get a fluffier texture so your vegan chocolate mousse will be fluffy! So try and play around to make the recipe as you desire
- There are different coconut milk brands in the market and are not all the same. Experiment with a couple of brands before you choose your favorite.