Table of Contents
Making a batch of Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies takes just a few minutes, and the result is a crowd-pleasing, indulgent dessert. These chewy, chocolatey treats with walnuts are simply delicious. Their name reflects our recipe method as we used two different types of chocolate: chocolate chips and chunks of dark chocolate. Mixed with walnuts, the cookies have a nutty taste and a crunchy texture in addition to the perfectly balanced sweetness of the dark chocolate. Are you convinced that you have to try them? Let’s make them!
Why we love 💕the Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Because they are so chocolatey!
- They are both crunchy and melt in your mouth
- They pair so well with a glass of milk or even a cup of coffee!
👩🍳What you need to make the Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand mixer
- Silpat® baking mat or parchment paper
- Cookie dough scoop
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- Vegetable shortening
- Unsalted butter
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate bar
- Chopped walnuts
🕐How to make the Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- Start by creaming shortening, butter, and the sugars -granulated and brown- together.
2. Next, add the eggs first and the vanilla, then add flour and the leavening agents (baking powder and baking soda). Make sure that it all gets combined really well.
3. Fold in the chocolate and walnuts and blend well
4. With a cookie dough scoop, make the cookies so that they are uniform in size. If you don’t have a scoop, make sure they are about the same size so that they cook evenly and they don’t “touch” each other
5. Bake in a preheated oven to 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until they are starting to turn a golden brown.
More cookie recipes? Check our Thin and Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
❓FAQs about the Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
What type of chocolate chips should I use for this recipe?
You can use any type of chocolate chips you want. We used 365 by Whole Foods Market Dark Chocolate Chips, Sugar Free. for this recipe. You can use semi-sweet chocolate chips, milk or sweet chocolate chips. It’s up to you.
What type of chocolate bars should I use for these Double Chocolate Cookies?
The chocolate bar of your choice. We used Guittard’s Bittersweet Bar Chocolate for Baking. If you prefer milk chocolate, you can go for this option.
How can I make sure that my cookies turn out perfectly?
Here are some tips for the cookies to turn out perfectly:
1. Do not overmix the cookie dough. Just mix until just combined
2. Be sure to space your cookies out on your baking sheet so that they don’t “touch” when they spread so ideally, use a cookie scoop
3. If you don’t have a Silpat® baking mat or you are out of parchment paper, you can use cooking spray instead.
How can I store the Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies?
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
Can I make these Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies gluten-free?
You can make these cookies gluten-free if you decide to use gluten-free flours. As always, changing the flour will change the consistency of the dough and, therefore, the recipe may well need to be tweaked. Professional bakers substitute one cup of all-purpose flour with one cup of gluten-free flour. However, keep in mind that gluten provides structure that is lost without gluten so you may need to add some stabilizers such as xanthan gum.
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 ounces dark chocolate bar chopped
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a large, baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat® baking mat. Set aside
- Cream shortening and butter with granulated and brown sugars in a large mixing bowl. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract until well blended
- Add in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix to combine
- Fold in chocolate chips, chopped chocolate and walnuts until thoroughly combined
- Use a large cookie dough scoop to make 24 balls of dough. Place 6 balls of dough on the prepared baking sheet with 1-2 inches in between each ball
- Flatten dough with the bottom of a glass
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
- Mix the cookie dough until it is just combined; avoid overmixing
- Be sure to space your cookies out on your baking sheet so that they don’t touch when they spread
- If you are out of parchment paper or you don’t have a Silpat® baking mat, you can use cooking spray instead.