Table of Contents
The No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos is a popular dessert made with Rice Krispies, creamy peanut butter, and a combination of melted chocolate and butterscotch chips. These indulgent, no-bake bars are ideal for a mid-afternoon sweet treat, birthday parties, or a 4th of July celebration. Regardless of when you choose to make them, these bars are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth cravings. Let’s make them!
Why we love 💕the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos
- You need a favorite childhood food – crispy rice cereal, also known as Rice Krispies cereal or Rice Krispie treats
- It is healthier as we do not use Corn Syrup and also gluten free because we chose a gluten free crispy rice cereal
- They pair so well with a glass of milk or even a cup of coffee!
- They are rich and crunchy and so versatile for all occasions from picnics to birthdays to the 4th of July celebrations!
- They are crowd-pleasers as everybody loves them!
👩🍳What you need to make the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Large mixing bowls
- Large cooking saucepan
- 8” x 8” baking pan
- parchment paper
- Rice Krispies or gluten free crispy rice cereal
- creamy peanut butter
- granulated sugar
- butterscotch chips
- semisweet chocolate chips
💡Did you know that Scotcheroos got their name after one of the key ingredients used in the preparation process – butterscotch. The recipe was originally printed on boxes of Rice Krispies in the 1960s, however, we don’t know its origins. School children used to get Scotcheroos as a lunch dessert!
Do you want to try other peanut butter recipes? Try this favorite here
🕐How to make the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Start with mixing granulated sugar and honey in a large cooking saucepan. Heat over medium heat. Stir the sugar and honey together continually until the mix starts to come to a boil. Make sure that the sugar mixture doesn’t burn.
2. Add the peanut butter to the sugar mixture, stir it well, and remove it from the heat
3. Pour Rice Krispies or any other gluten free crispy rice cereal in a large bowl. Add the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and stir until all of the crispy rice is coated. Spread the mixture into a prepared 8” x 8” pan with a parchment paper
4. For the chocolate mixture, place the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on for sixty seconds on high heat. Stir well and remove when all the chips have melted. If not, place it back in the microwave for another 30-60 seconds
5. Spread the chocolate mixture over the cereal mixture evenly, and allow it to cool. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate hardens.
Did you make this? Capture a snapshot of your dessert and share it with us on Instagram by tagging @theistravels or using the hashtag #wedesserts. We can’t wait to admire your creation!
❓FAQs about the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos
Are the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos gluten free?
No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos are not gluten free. As the Rice Krispies contain malt syrup made from barley, the cereal contains gluten. You can make them gluten free if you buy crispy rice cereal that is gluten free and does not contain malt syrup. Favorite brands are: One Degree Brown Rice Crisps Cereal, a brown rice cereal that is also sprouted and easier to digest, and Nature’s Path Crispy Rice Cereal
What type of peanut butter should I use?
You can use any type of creamy natural peanut butter for this recipe. Just go for the real peanut butter made only from peanuts that does not contain sugars or added oils. Typically, peanut butter contains salt, sugars, and canola or sunflower oils. There are several brands largely available in the market that offer only peanut butter with no additives. Better yet, go for organic although it is optional. We like the Try Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter
What type of honey should I use for the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos?
There are various types of honey available in the market. Wildflower, Acacia, Manuka, Buckwheat, Orange Blossom, and many more – you name them. For this recipe, we used Clover honey as it is flavorful but mild so it does not interfere with the ingredients used and does not overpower the recipe. As the recipe is a simple one for everyday use, you don’t need an overpriced, high quality honey
How can I store the No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos?
Scotcheroos can be stored in an air-tight container after they have cooled for up to a week.
Scotcheroos can also be frozen. Cut them into squares and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap and place them all in a freezer bag. They can be stored for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before serving.
No Corn Syrup Chocolate Scotcheroos
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies or a gluten free crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Line an 8” x 8” pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside
- Heat granulated sugar and honey in a large cooking saucepan over medium heat, stirring continually, until mixture comes to a rolling boil
- Stir in peanut butter and remove from heat. Set aside
- Add Rice Krispies or the gluten free crispy rice cereal to a large bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix to combine
- Spread the cereal mixture evenly in the prepared baking pan. Set aside
- In the microwave, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips in a large bowl (or two separate bowls, if preferred). Heat for 60 seconds and then stir
- Then, heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chips are completely melted
- Pour chocolate-butterscotch mixture over the cereal mixture in the baking pan and spread out evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate hardens
- Remove from refrigerator and slice into 9 squares before serving. Enjoy!
- To prevent lumps when melting the butterscotch chips, melt them in a separate bowl.
- For a thicker chocolate-butterscotch topping, double the amount chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. This will make the recipe much richer though -and less healthier!