- Why we love 💕 the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- 👩🍳What you need to make the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- 🕐How to make the recipe
- ❓FAQs about the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- Is there a vegan meringue powder?
- What is versawhip?
- Can I make a delicious vegan meringue recipe without aquafaba?
- Does aquafaba come only from chickpeas?
- Can I buy vegan meringue cookies in a grocery store?
- How can I store the vegan meringue cookies?
- How can I use the vegan meringue mixture?
- Why my vegan aquafaba meringue is deflated?
- Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies! The light and airy Vegan Meringue cookies are made with only 3 ingredients: aquafaba, beet (vegan) sugar, and vanilla extra. Easy-to-make, deliciously sweet, and the perfect pair with a flat white coffee. So, get your stand mixer ready and with some patience in hand, we are ready to go!
Why we love 💕 the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- They only need 3 ingredients that you can certainly find in your pantry
- They are not only easy-to-make but customizable as well. You can pipe them into different shapes, add food coloring, and even dip them in melted chocolate after baking them.
- Just a light snack you can pair with your favorite cup of joe!
👩🍳What you need to make the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- Stand electric mixer (or electric handheld mixer)
- Large bowls
- Baking sheet
- A pastry piping bag with the whipped filling
🕐How to make the recipe
- Strain the chickpeas, and pour the liquid in clean bowl
- Filter the liquid and add the vanilla extract. Make sure that there are no chickpeas left
- Whisk the liquid slowly but speed up when it becomes lighter
- Gradually add the sugar
- Keep mixing at a high speed until you reach a firm meringue with stiff peaks
- Put the meringue mixture into a pastry bag and pipe it out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake for one hour. Then turn off the oven and leave the delicious vegan meringue cookies for another 30 minutes to dry out
Do you want to learn about the history of Meringue? Check this article
Did you make this? Capture a snapshot of your dessert and share it with us on Instagram by tagging @theistravels or using the hashtag #wedesserts. We can’t wait to admire your creation!
❓FAQs about the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
Is there a vegan meringue powder?
There is indeed a vegan meringue powder. It is known as a baking ingredient that is most often vegan and allergen friendly. It is used to replace eggs when making a classic meringue. You simply have to add water and mix it with the powder following the instructions. Then whisk it with the mixer until it becomes firm with stiff peaks.
What is versawhip?
Versawhip is a thickener and stabilizer similar to egg whites or gelatin. It is a white powder made of soy protein that can produce a range of stabilized liquids and foams, like meringue or royal icing. You can best use it in a blender mixed with water to make a foam similar to the meringue. Versawhip is a proprietary protected formula created by the Kerry Group.
Can I make a delicious vegan meringue recipe without aquafaba?
There are alternative ways to make vegan meringue recipes even if aquafaba (which is the chickpea liquid, chickpea brine, or chickpea water) is commonly used in vegan recipes.
You can make Vegan Meringue with Silken Tofu : Silken tofu can be whipped with sugar and vanilla extract to create a meringue-like consistency. To make this meringue, blend silken tofu in a food processor until smooth and creamy, then add in sugar and vanilla extract, and continue to blend until the mixture is light and fluffy.
The texture may not be as airy and foamy but rather creamy. However, it is still a good alternative to aquafaba meringue.
You can also make the recipe by replacing the aquafaba with the
Vegan Egg Replacer by Ener-G. Use 1/2 cup of the Ener-G, 1/4 cup of vegan sugar, and 2/3 cup of water. Follow the instructions of the recipe at the bottom of this post!
Does aquafaba come only from chickpeas?
Aquafaba is the juice in a can of beans. Most people use the liquid from a can of chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans). You can use the liquid from white beans or black beans as well, the bean water, but the texture is not entirely the same. This will result in different texture and consistency in your egg-free meringue and meringue cookies.
Can I buy vegan meringue cookies in a grocery store?
You can find Vegan Meringue and Vegan Meringue cookies, but they are not largely available. Start with your local vegan bakeries, then check the bakery department of your local grocery stores. I have found vegan meringue cookies but not freshly made; they were sold in plastic containers with an expiration date.
How can I store the vegan meringue cookies?
Store the aquafaba meringue cookies in airtight container for a week.
How can I use the vegan meringue mixture?
If you don’t want to make cookies, you can use the vegan meringue mixture as the regular meringue: in lemon pies, Eton Mess, Pavlova etc. Make mini lemon meringue pies for your kiddos, or a large vegan lemon meringue pie for adults!
Why my vegan aquafaba meringue is deflated?
There might be various reasons why the vegan aquafaba meringue is deflated:
1. Not Adding Sugar Gradually: You need to add the sugar slowly and gradually, about a tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until the sugar has dissolved and blends nicely with the aquafaba mix. If you add the sugar too quickly, it can weigh down the meringue and cause it to deflate.
2. Overbeating: Overbeating can cause the proteins in the aquafaba to break down, leading to a deflated meringue. Make sure to stop beating the mixture when it reaches stiff peaks.
3. Incorrect Baking Temperature: Baking the meringue at too high of a temperature or for too long can cause it to deflate. Make sure to bake the vegan meringue mixture at a low temperature, about 225°F, for 1 hour and then let it cool for 30 minutes in the oven with the door closed.
4. Incorrect Piping: If the meringue is not piped into a stable shape, it can collapse during baking. Make sure to pipe the meringue onto a lined baking sheet with parchment paper and create a stable structure in your favorite shape(s).
Made the Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies recipe? Send an email or share on your favorite social media platform!
More vegan recipes? Check this one here
Traditional meringue recipes? Check one here
The site contains affiliate links
Say Goodbye to Egg Whites with Vegan Aquafaba Meringue Cookies
- 1 Stand Electric Mixer
- baking sheet
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba the liquid from a can of chickpeas
- 1/3 cup granulated beet sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 225° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Strain the chickpeas, capturing the liquid (aquafaba) in a bowl. Make sure there are no chickpea pieces in the liquid, and it is at room temperature
- Add the vanilla to the aquafaba
- Using a stand electric mixer with the whisk attachment (or an electric handheld mixer) whip the liquid slowly at first, increasing the medium speed as the liquid becomes lighter
- Add the sugar slowly while mixing at a high speed and continue to whip until stiff peaks form
- Fill a pastry bag with the whipped filling. Pipe the meringue into medium-sized shapes of your choice
- Bake for one hour; then turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven for an additional 30 minutes to continue to dry out. Do not open the oven door while the meringue is in there
- To check if the meringue cookies are ready, take one meringue and break it in half. They should be dry throughout
- The perfect vegan meringues are ready! Serve in room temperature
- If you make the meringue cookies later in the evening, you can leave them in the oven overnight after they are baked; remove them in the morning and have a few for breakfast!
- You can use a stand mixer or a handheld electric mixer. However, as the process of whisking is long, a stand mixer is much easier to use
- Store the aquafaba meringue cookies in airtight container for a week
- Make sure that the white sugar is vegan if you use it like for example beet sugar
- You can pipe the cookies in various shapes, color them, or dip them in melted chocolate. So many options!
- If you want, you can use the meringue mixture to make mini lemon meringue pies or a large vegan lemon meringue pie.