Table of Contents
Savor a luxurious, non-dairy vegan pastry cream with this easy-to make Vegan Pastry Cream recipe. It is both rich and creamy, making it an ideal filling for your sweet delights or simply enjoy it as a standalone sweet and satisfying snack. You will need plant-based milk and a vegan butter together with corn starch for thickening and sugar for the sweetness. Put on your apron! Let’s go!
Did you know?
According to history, Pastry cream is thought to have originated in France or Italy in the 17th century. The earliest mention of pastry cream was in a French book by François Massialot called The Royal and Bourgeois Cook (Le Cuisinier Roïal et Bourgeois).
Why we love 💕this Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
- It is made with simple ingredients that you can find in your pantry; if not they are easily found in your local grocery store
- It is also gluten-free
- It is not only easy-to-make but also versatile. Eat it by itself or fill in those puff creams or donuts!
- If you want to give it something extra, add a pinch of turmeric for the warm yellow color
- Everybody loves it especially kids when they fill their cookies or cream puffs!
👩🍳What you need to make the Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
- Two medium bowl
- A medium pot
- A whisk
- Plastic wrap
Did you know that the pastry cream is also known as crème pâtissière?
🕐How to make this Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
- Mix milk and cornstarch together
- Then add sugar and salt and blend together with the mixture in a pot
- Start cooking over medium-high heat. Whisk until the blend becomes smooth.
- Bring to a simmer and continue whisking until it thickens in about 5 minutes
- Remove the pot from stove and mix in the vanilla extract and the plant-based or vegan butter
- Mix until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature
- Place the cream in the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours before serving
- You can serve it as it is or on top of fresh berries, filled in puff creams etc.
Do you want to learn more about French pastries? Check this book
Check the recipe card below for the entire recipe and the steps to follow
❓FAQs about the Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
How can I store the Vegan Pastry Cream?
1. You can store cream in a hermetically sealed holder in the fridge for as long as 3 days
2. To keep a skin from framing on top of the cream, put plastic wrap straightforwardly on the outer layer of the cream prior to fixing the compartment
3. This will help keep the cream fresh and prevent any odors from affecting its flavor. For best results, when ready to use, remove the plastic wrap, give the cream a good whisk to get rid of any lumps and it will be ready to use
Can I store the Vegan Pastry Cream in the freezer?
This vegan pastry cream can be frozen for up to 2 months. When ready to use, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight, then whisk until smooth before using.
What other milks can I use instead of almond milk?
In this recipe, almond milk is used as the base for the vegan pastry cream. You can replace the almond milk with any other type of non-dairy, plant-based milk, such as soy milk, cashew milk, rice milk, oat milk or coconut milk, if desired. Notice that texture and the creamy consistency of the cream might be different according to the plant milk you use
What type of butter can I use for this Vegan Pastry Cream recipe?
In this recipe, we use plant-based butter is used as a replacement for dairy butter. This is a vegan butter used as alternative to dairy butter, made from oils such as soy, coconut, or canola oil. It can be found in many grocery stores and specialty markets.
How can I serve Vegan Pastry Cream?
Vegan pastry cream can be used in a variety of sweet dishes, both as a filling and as a topping. Some common uses for vegan pastry cream include:
1. As a filling for cakes, tarts, vegan éclairs, donuts, and other pastries
2. As a topping for fruit tarts, puddings, a fruity dessert like the vegan fruit tart, and pies
3. As a base for cream pies, such as banana cream, chocolate cream pie or the Boston cream pie
4. As a layer in a trifle or parfait
5. Mixed with whipped coconut cream to make a vegan whipped cream
You can also flavor the vegan pastry cream with extracts, such as almond, lemon, or raspberry, or with cocoa powder for a chocolate variation. Serve in small bowls.
Do you want more vegan desserts? Check this out here
This blog post contains affiliation links
Vegan Pastry Cream Recipe
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp plant-based butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk and cornstarch
- Once mixture is well blended, add the sugar and salt in a medium pot
- Cook the mixture over medium-high heat, whisking until smooth. Bring to a simmer and continue whisking until it thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Remove the pot from stove and mix in the vanilla extract and the plant-based butter, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth
- Let the mixture cool to room temperature
- Transfer the cream to a bowl and cover with a cling wrap on the top of the custard, to avoid a film forming
- Refrigerate a few hours to cool
- Serve and enjoy!
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours
- You can use vanilla pod for a more intense vanilla flavor
If the cream is clumpy, you can use an immersion blender, a stand mixer or a hand mixer to smooth it out
- If the cream is runny, then cook it longer or add corn starch. Runny cream usually requires additional cooking time and/or more cornstarch
- You can replace corn starch with tapioca starch if you wish
- To keep a skin from framing on top of the cream, put plastic wrap straightforwardly on the outer layer of the cream prior to fixing the compartment.